Turquoise Hill Resources today announced its financial results for the year ended December 31, 2017. All figures are in
U.S. dollars unless otherwise stated.
Full year 2017
• Oyu Tolgoi achieved an All Injury Frequency Rate of 0.27 per 200,000 hours worked for the year ended December 31,
• Underground lateral development made good progress during 2017 completing 6.1 equivalent kilometres for the year
which was in-line with the 2016 Technical Report expectations.
• Since the re-start of development in January 2016, a total of 7.7 equivalent kilometres has been completed, which is
• Shaft 2 sinking was completed in January 2018 with fit out expected to occur over 2018.
• Shaft 5 had approximately 100 metres remaining at the end of 2017 and sinking is expected to be complete in Q1’18.
• During 2017, total underground expansion spend was $835.7 million, meeting guidance and resulting in total
underground project spend since January 1, 2016 of approximately $1.1 billion.
• Production from first draw bell remains planned for mid-2020 and sustainable first production in 2021.
• During 2017, Oyu Tolgoi set operational records for total material mined and concentrator throughput.
• Copper production of 157,400 tonnes and gold production of 114,000 ounces in 2017 met the Company’s guidance.
• Oyu Tolgoi recorded revenue of $939.8 million in 2017 compared with $1,203.3 million in 2016 reflecting lower sales
volumes partially offset by higher copper prices.
• For 2017, the Company recorded income of $110.9 million and net income attributable to owners of Turquoise Hill of
$181.2 million or $0.09 per share.
• Turquoise Hill generated cash flow from operating activities before interest and tax of $325.8 million in 2017, with net
cash generated from operating activities of $118.0 million.
• For 2017, Oyu Tolgoi’s cost of sales was $2.32 per pound of copper sold, C1 cash costs were $1.92 per pound of
copper produced and all-in sustaining costs were $2.39 per pound of copper produced1
• Operating cash costs1 of $711.6 million in 2017 beat the Company’s guidance.
• Of the $4.2 billion project finance facility proceeds deposited with Rio Tinto in June 2016, approximately $1.0 billion
has been redrawn as of December 31, 2017 with approximately $3.2 billion available.
• Turquoise Hill’s cash and cash equivalents at December 31, 2017 were approximately $1.4 billion.
Source: Turquoise Hill Resources